a southern girl's dialogue on life in the rockies

a southern girl's dialogue on life in the rockies.

cooking.baking.teaching.and general merriment.

5.01.2013

Super Smoothie

You don't realize how loud the blender is until you have a baby and they look at that strange machine like, "What the heck is that thing and why is it so horribly loud?!"

Little does she know that she has the potential to be even LOUDER than a blender full of ice. And she has proved that fact, too.

Y'all know I've always been a fan of smoothies for breakfast, lunch, snack, really anytime of the day. After having a baby that didn't weigh the 23 pounds that I had somehow gained when I was pregnant, I'm an even bigger fan of smoothies. They're filling, nutritious and simple to throw together quickly and drink while I'm loving on my sweet girl....or changing a diaper, cleaning up spit-up or collapsing on the couch after she goes down for a nap. You get the idea.




This smoothie will not disappoint. Made creamy with a frozen banana, made sweet with mango and almond extract and packed with flax (great for nursing moms!) and fresh spinach!


I adapted this recipe from skinnytaste.com and she mentioned she saw it in a Superfood Smoothie book (see here) that has peaked my interest! I'm always looking for yummy, new smoothie recipes!


Mango Banana Spinach Smoothie
Adapted from SkinnyTaste.com
Makes 1 Smoothie
 
Ingredients:
1/2 frozen banana
1/4 c. frozen (or fresh) mango
1/2 c. fresh spinach
1 tbsp. ground flax seeds
1 small splash (approx. 1 tsp.) almond extract
1 c. milk
1/2 c. ice
 
Blend all ingredients together until smooth and creamy.
 
Enjoy!
Laura

2 comments:

  1. What kinda of blender do you use? I think I need an upgrade because the first (and last) time I tried a green smoothie, my greens didn't really blend. It was like a shake with annoying bits of spinach and kale that would get stuck to the roof of your mouth/teeth/gums... Jeff thought I was trying to torture him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! I have to blend it up so Ash doesn't know I snuck greens into it!! I just have the Cuisinart blender we registered for. It's ok but I'm eyeing a few other upgrades right now! Just make sure you add enough liquid (milk, juice, water) and blend it for a little longer! And I do chop and then liquefy!

      Delete