a southern girl's dialogue on life in the rockies

a southern girl's dialogue on life in the rockies.

cooking.baking.teaching.and general merriment.

6.11.2013

Rose Cake

This post could also be titled, "Ohmygosh I finally made this cake and I'm obsessed."

But I figured that was a little long.

I'm a big fan of all things floral and since I first saw these gorgeous cakes by I Am Baker, I've been in love.

IMG_6416.stamp
 
IMG_9038.stamp
 
These are jaw-dropping, stunning cakes. Made at home!
 
I almost didn't write this post because I didn't want to give away my secret of how EASY this rose cake decoration is. But now you all know.
 
You don't have to tell anyone when you make it, though. It'll be our little secret.
 
Basically, make any cake that you want- chocolate, vanilla, funfetti, homemade, from a box- we are more concerned with the outside here!
 
When I made the rose cake, I made a two layer vanilla cake with a filling of chocolate frosting in between. And it was delicious, FYI.
 
I followed I Am Baker's directions for buttercream icing because it is thick and holds up well when piping the roses. Click here for the recipe. I also froze my cake before icing and applied a thin crumb coat to hide any holes in the rose decoration. For a one-layer of roses cake, I used the entire amount of frosting the recipe prepares. And I mean the entire thing. Like, I was so nervous I'd be one rose short-entire amount. So, keep that in mind!
 
I Am Baker has a great video to show you how simple and quick this frosting décor can be! All you need is a piping bag and a 1M size tip from the craft store!
 

 
I can't wait to try this rose frosting out on cupcakes, too! I have a little bit more practicing to do before I can present this as Charlotte's first birthday cake but that just means more cake for us to eat while I practice! Win, win, right?
 
Let me know if you try it out! Her patriotic cake in the video is perfect for 4th of July- right around the corner!
 
Now I want cake,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment