a southern girl's dialogue on life in the rockies

a southern girl's dialogue on life in the rockies.

cooking.baking.teaching.and general merriment.

2.17.2012

Meatloaf

Why does meatloaf get such a bad rap?

Or is it rep...hmm...tricky.

Anyways, this meatloaf deserves nothing but compliments! Praise! Applause! Kudos! I think you get the picture- it's good.

This is another tried and true recipe that I've been making for about 3 years now from Kraft Food and Family Magazine.

Gather your ingredients.


egg, v8 juice, bread crumbs, onion soup mix, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, ground beef and ketchup
(Full recipe is listed at bottom of post)


I served this with a side salad and honey roasted butternut squash!



Meatloaf
Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep: 10 min. Total Time: 45 min.

Ingredients:
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 can (5 1/2 oz) V8 juice
1/2 c. seasoned bread crumbs
1 envelope onion soup mix
1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1/2 c. ketchup

-In a large bowl, combine the egg, V8 juice, bread crumbs, soup mix, cheese and garlic powder. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Pat into an ungreased loaf pan.

-Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Spread ketchup over top, bake 5-10 min. longer or until no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees.

Side Note #1: I like to make two of these at a time. The soup mix comes with 2 in a pack, I can easily buy 3 lbs. of ground beef instead of having a half pound left over and the V8 bottle (from a gas station or drug store) is the perfect amount to split in half. I cook one that night and put the other in a disposable loaf pan, cover with foil, place in a large ziploc bag and freeze it for an easy dinner in the future!

Side Note #2: If you don't have a meat thermometer, I highly recommend investing in one! This is the one I use! Super useful.

Enjoy!

Let's give meatloaf a fresh start,
Laura

2 comments:

  1. i made meatloaf last week and the husb was begging me to make it more. as in every week. i'll have to give your version a try, looks yummy!

    p.s. my gma's recipe uses ketchup + brown sugar topping--i swear the brown sugar makes it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm brown sugar does sound delicious!! I will have to try that! Ash once asked if I could "make more of the red sauce to go on top" I was like hmm yep, I can squeeze a little more ketchup on there :)

      Delete