a southern girl's dialogue on life in the rockies

a southern girl's dialogue on life in the rockies.

cooking.baking.teaching.and general merriment.

2.29.2012

Comprehension Pinwheel

I love switching things up in the classroom to keep myself growing as a teacher and to keep the kids engaged. I saw this on Pinterest and thought it would be such a fun, new way to assess comprehension after read-alouds.

Does everyone else love the Target dollar section as much as I do? I found these cute little pinwheels there last week and knew I had to give this a whirl (pun obviously intended)!


I decided not to write the questions directly on the pinwheel for two reasons.
1. The polka dots could intrude on the words.
2. I like the idea of being able to take off the questions and switch it up for different books, purposes and differentiation throughout the year.
I don't want to commit too much here, you know.


We decided whichever question lands at the top by his eyes is the one we will answer. I love having the kids blow at the pinwheel or spin it and get excited about answering the questions!

I love thinking of other ways to incorporate this pinwheel idea....
-Math facts
-Spelling word review (read it then use it in a sentence)
-Shapes
-Blend/Chunks (have them name a word that contains that blend/chunk)
-Money (after two spins, add up the amount you have together)

Teachers, any other cute ideas to share about how to spice things up in the classroom based on this pinwheel idea?

Who knew a pinwheel could be so inspirational?
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment