a southern girl's dialogue on life in the rockies

a southern girl's dialogue on life in the rockies.

cooking.baking.teaching.and general merriment.

8.27.2012

Root Beer BBQ Pulled Pork

The hubster told me the other day that he doesn't like things made in the crock pot.

What?

Does that even make sense?

The crock pot is just basically an oven and one of God's greatest gifts to women.

Strange man.

Normally, I try to respect his opinions on things I make in the kitchen but this one I just had to say that he's going to have to deal with it. Because the crock pot ain't leaving. Because the crock pot makes delectable creations like this Root Beer BBQ Pulled Pork so easy!

My mom made this when I was in Oklahoma a few weeks ago and I made it last week for my husband's pot luck lunch at work...and stole some to eat for ourselves, at home, too!


 Root Beer poured on top...


Shredded and drained...


BBQ Sauce mixed in and ready to eat!



Root Beer BBQ Pulled Pork
Adapted slightly from The Girl Who Ate Everything
Yield: A lot...
Prep Time: 5 min. Total Time: 6-8 hours

Ingredients:
-Half gallon root beer
-2 Pork Butt (see picture) or tenderloin
-18 oz. BBQ sauce (plus more for serving, if desired)
-Slider buns for serving (I like the Hawaiian Sweet Rolls)

Directions:
-Place the pork in the slow cooker and pour the root beer over the meat.

-Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours, until the pork shreds easily with a fork.

-After the pork has cooked, drain and discard the root beer. I pulled out the meat with tongs into a bowl and poured the rest of the liquid into the sink then put the meat back in the slow cooker.


-Pour the BBQ sauce over the meat and stir to combine. You can either serve immediately on buns or keep on warm until you're ready to serve.

(For the pot luck, I started the slow cooker at midnight, drained the meat and added the BBQ sauce at 6:30am before he left for work. He took the slow cooker to work and kept it on warm and added a little more BBQ sauce before serving.)

Enjoy!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment