a southern girl's dialogue on life in the rockies

a southern girl's dialogue on life in the rockies.

cooking.baking.teaching.and general merriment.

9.11.2012

Reese's S'mores Bars

Last Friday, I tweeted this:

"I just made up a dessert so delicious that I wish I'd never made it up."

I'm serious.

I took one bite, immediately set it down and walked away so that I wouldn't devour the entire pan right then and there.

When you are wearing elastic waisted pants because you're pregnant, you have to be extra careful about decisions like eating an entire pan of Reese's S'mores Bars.

S'mores are one of my favorite desserts but I like to kick it up a notch by replacing the chocolate bar with a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. So when I saw this recipe, I knew I had to make the same switch.



And I still can't decide if I'm glad that I did that or not. This could be detrimental to me getting back in shape post-baby.


Have you gotten the point yet that these are really, really, really delicious?!

Ok, good.



Reese's S'mores Bars
Recipe adapted from Lovin' From the Oven
Yield: 16 bars
Prep Time: 15 min. Total Time: 45 min.
 
Ingredients:
1/2 c.  (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/3 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 c. crushed graham crackers (I used my food processor)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. marshmallow fluff/creme (not melted marshmallows!)
12 Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, unwrapped (6 packages/2 in each)
 
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and thoroughly grease an 8 in. square pan.
 
With a mixer, cream the butter and both sugars together. Add in the egg and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
 
In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt.
 
Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter and sugar and mix until combined.
 
Divide the dough in half and press half into the bottom of the prepared pan. Top with 12 Reese's (3 rows of 4) and cover with the marshmallow creme/fluff.
 
Place remaining dough in a single layer on top of the fluff. (This is best done by pressing the dough into flat shingles with your hands and laying on top.)
 
Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Let it cool completely before cutting into bars.
 
Let me know if you make them and if you love them as much as I do!
 
Enjoy!
Laura
 


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's worth every bite and every single calorie. And I don't say that often.

      Delete