a southern girl's dialogue on life in the rockies

a southern girl's dialogue on life in the rockies.

cooking.baking.teaching.and general merriment.

11.01.2012

Leftover Halloween Candy Bark

Some of the first things kindergartners want to know about you is what your favorite color is and what kind of candy you like.

These are very important things to get out on the table when you're five years old.

This also meant that every November 1st, I received armfuls and armfuls (granted, they were little five year old armfuls) of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, my favorite candy.

Each student would walk in, smiling so huge, with a bag of candy specifically for me. They each had obviously gone through their candy the second they were done trick-or-treating just to sort out the Reese's. (Great kinder activity too, by the way- sorting anything!).

Melt my heart...and expand my waistline.

Last year, I found this brilliant idea on one of my fav blogs, Brown Eyed Baker, and it was the perfect way to use up my jackpot of Reese's candy.

Leftover Halloween Candy Bark!

 
What is so perfect about this idea is that you can use any candy you have on hand, whether left over from trick or treating or getting trick or treaters! Also, while people start to turn away from candy on November 1st saying things like, "If I see one more piece of Halloween candy, I'm going to explode!" or other dramatic statements, they see this candy bark and say, "Oh that looks delicious, what a nice change from all the Halloween candy!"
 
It's as if Halloween candy waits until November 1st to don its costume. Clever little guys.
 
When I made this last year, I used my stash of Reese's, chopped peanuts and drizzled white chocolate and a sprinkle of salt over the top. But like I said, you can't go wrong with any combination of chocolate candy here.
 
Click here for the original recipe on Brown Eyed Baker's blog but don't be afraid to change it up with what you have on hand! Twix, Milky Way, Snickers, Butterfinger- all sound good to me!
 
Then bag it up, pass it out to neighbors and co-workers! Your pants will thank you when they still fit.
 
Oh, and my favorite color? Purple.
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment