a southern girl's dialogue on life in the rockies

a southern girl's dialogue on life in the rockies.

cooking.baking.teaching.and general merriment.

7.31.2012

Do you know Flax?

Do y'all know about flax seed?
Flax is an annual flower and the seeds have been found to have lots of nutritional benefits and it is super easy to add into your daily diet!

Some flax seed bragging rights:
-It's been shown to reduce your risk of heart disease, cancer, stroke and diabetes
-It can help lower your blood pressure
-Reduces inflammation caused by Parkinson's Disease and asthma
-Reduces hot flashes in menopausal women by 50%

Now, there is a lot of evidence that proves that flax seed is wonderful but all reports make it very clear that it is not some sort of super food but still recommended to add to your daily diet.

While researching, I found out that pregnant women should not be adding flax seed because there has not been research done in this scenario yet! Definitely a question I will be asking my doctor about!

Now the real question. How do you eat it?!

The easiest ways I have found to add this great body booster is in my breakfast. Sprinkle it on yogurt, cereal, toast with jelly, in smoothies or in your juice. It would also be easy to add a sprinkle on a sandwich, in a soup or marinade for lunch or dinner!

This is important: flax seed can go bad at room temperature once opened very quickly. I keep the bag in the freezer and have a small tupperware in the fridge that I refill once I use all that up.


Look for it in the baking/flour aisle next time you're at the grocery store and add some flax seed benefits to your routine, too!

This helps balance out the blueberry cupcakes...
Laura

(Information via here and here)


2 comments:

  1. Does flax have a flavor of any kind or weird after taste? (And does it have a fiber 'side effect'? I've never tried it, but I will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't notice any after taste and I kinda think it tastes good!! If you can even taste it! I also haven't noticed a side effect but only add about a spoonful daily so it might not be enough to notice a big difference! Great questions :)

      Delete