a southern girl's dialogue on life in the rockies

a southern girl's dialogue on life in the rockies.

cooking.baking.teaching.and general merriment.

4.13.2012

Easter Bark

I am a sucker for anything holiday themed- including candy. Since I was at my parent's house for Easter, I came home with a bag full of Easter treats!

Since I know myself and know that I would want to eat all the candy and that they are in small bags so I would feel like I wasn't eating a lot of candy but then would eat multiple small bags at a time, I knew I had to do something about this. Whew. Long sentence.

Enter Easter bark. I did this same concept at Halloween when my adorable students each brought me in all the Reese's Peanut Butter Cups from their trick or treating adventures. Brown-nosing? Maybe, but I enjoyed it.


It couldn't be simpler. First, chop up your Easter candy, pulse it in a food processor or (what I did) throw it in a Ziploc bag and hit it with a Pyrex measuring cup until chopped but still has large chunks. Bonus- I didn't even have to clean my food processor! Win, win.

Next, I melted chocolate candy melts (from Hobby Lobby or Michael's) with a splash of vegetable oil in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments until completely smooth then poured it onto my Silpat and spread it into a thin layer. It's up to you how much chocolate and how thick you want the bark to be. I only had a half bag of candy melts and spread it pretty thin to make it easier to eat.

Sprinkle the chopped up candy onto the melted chocolate and then sprinkle with salt, to help cut out all the sweetness! Let it harden in the fridge for about 5 minutes.


After the chocolate is hardened, melt about 1/4 c. white chocolate chips and a splash of vegetable oil in the microwave. Use white chocolate melts if you have them and if not, do like I did and just melt them until somewhat smooth and stir slowly to melt the rest but not too much that it thickens up. White chocolate can be so moody.

Using your spoon, drizzle the white chocolate over the bark and let it harden in the fridge for 10 more minutes.



Break into small pieces, take to your office or hand them out to your neighbors and, I promise, you will be so glad you got rid of all that candy with bikini season right around the corner!



Everybody loves somebody that brings them dessert. It's a fact.

I really need to give all mine away,
Laura

2 comments:

  1. I love it!! More proof that we need to get a Silpat =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is serious!! You really need one!! Or maybe two or three...I'm obsessed. Perfect for baking yummy treats in the treehouse! :)

      Delete