a southern girl's dialogue on life in the rockies

a southern girl's dialogue on life in the rockies.

cooking.baking.teaching.and general merriment.

4.27.2012

Nut Organization

...what? I couldn't think of a better title so there you go.

In oatmeal, cookies, bread or even a mid-afternoon snack, I love to have fresh cashews, walnuts or other nuts on hand.

That can add up!

Nuts aren't cheap, let me tell ya. I like to buy them in bulk from the dispensers at the grocery store but, fun fact, nuts can go rancid (in other words- nasty and bad) pretty quickly. In fact, nuts only last one month at room temperature.

I can't remember where I read this tip but I've been using it ever since. I keep my nuts in a bag in the freezer (they can last up to a year there!) and within that bag are smaller bags separated by nut variety.




This is super handy, the nuts last longer and there is no need to thaw! Throw them right into batters, oatmeal or on a salad! How easy is that?

Rancid things are scary things,
Laura


2 comments:

  1. Can I just say - how have you not been blogging all this time? Love it! I'm trying all of your recipes and love your "favs" every week! Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I needed that encouragement! I am having fun with it and am so glad to know someone enjoys it! I love seeing pics of your sweet boys- they look so much alike!!

      Delete