a southern girl's dialogue on life in the rockies

a southern girl's dialogue on life in the rockies.

cooking.baking.teaching.and general merriment.

5.23.2012

Animal Parts

When I was teaching in Texas, I had an adorable student whose mom had just had a baby. Fast forward a few months and we are learning about farm animals. The assignment was to choose a farm animal, choose a body part of that farm animal and tell me why it is important.

I was walking around the classroom helping and monitoring when I saw this sweetie's paper and, although I consider myself an expert at deciphering invented spelling, I didn't want to believe what I was reading. So I asked her to tell me about what she had written.

This is how the conversation went...

Me: So, tell me about what you chose!
Student : The pig.
Me: What part of the pig?
Student: Oh you know the (whispering) b....e.
Me: What did you say? I couldn't hear you.
Student: The part for the baby pigs, you know, the (whispering) b..b...e
Me: (Not willing to believe what I am hearing/reading) I'm sorry, sweetie, one more time.
Student: (As she cups her hands in front of her chest as though she is wearing a bra and she yells...) You know, the BOOBIE!

Here is her paper (pardon the horrible, in class, old iphone photo) and it clearly says, "So the milk comes out for the baby pigs."



Love my job!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment