a southern girl's dialogue on life in the rockies

a southern girl's dialogue on life in the rockies.

cooking.baking.teaching.and general merriment.

5.17.2012

Fishtail Tip

It's no secret around here that I am a fan of dirty hair.

But having dirty hair really is an art because it looks best when in a super cute style! Enter the Fishtail braid.

Braids are my favorite (remind anybody else of Elf? "Smiling is my favorite!") because they are effortless and can go from casual day into night. Perfect!

Sometimes the layers in my hair make it tricky to keep all the pieces in with a normal braid but a fishtail braid is perfect for tucking in all those pesky layers!

The Beauty Department, Lauren Conrad's beauty website, has a great video tutorial on how to fishtail braid your hair. In the video, they use a clear rubber band to keep the hair in place at the top and then cut the rubber band out at the end. Well, I didn't like that for two reasons.

1. I'm cheap and don't want to keep buying clear ties.
2. Knowing me, I would forget to go and cut it out and not realize it until hours later.

So, I improvised and simply (and gently) make the tie larger with my fingers and pull it over the fishtail until it's out! Voila- perfect fishtail AND no hair tie waste.



I like these colored hair ties from Sephora that are snagless and stretch easier and last longer than the clear elastic ties.
product image

Check out Lauren Conrad's video and add in this trick and there you have your easy Friday hair-do for tomorrow! 


Fishtail is a funny name, 
Laura

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm...okay I was super duper excited about this because I've ALWAYS wanted to know how to do a fishtail! However, the fact that my hair is in just a normal side braid right now (after I tried fishtailing it for 30 minutes!) proves that this is tricky. Guess I need to practice more. Or teach Marc how to do it =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love braids too! I've been wanting to learn more ways to do them.. this looks like a good opportunity! Too bad you are too far away for a personal lesson...

    ReplyDelete