a southern girl's dialogue on life in the rockies

a southern girl's dialogue on life in the rockies.

cooking.baking.teaching.and general merriment.

10.09.2012

Canning Essentials

If yesterday's apple butter post inspired you to hop aboard the canning train, let me tell you about a few of my favorite things that make the whole process easier.

There are two different types of canning and I use the water bath method so this is what I use for processing and cooking...

This comes with a funnel (essential as it fits onto the jars perfectly), a jar lifter (boiling water is hot, y'all), a magnetic lid lifter for pulling the lids and rims out of their pot of water and a bubble remover/headspace tool to make sure you're filling the jar properly.
Ball® Canning Utensil Set 4-pc
 
A 21 qt. water bath canning system. I tried to use a large pot I had on hand for my first batch of jam and, although it got the job done, it was very difficult and not ideal for larger or more cans. This kit actually comes with not only the pot, but the 4 pieces listed above and a canning rack that fits in the pot to make it easy to place jars in and remove jars from the hot water!
Ball® Fresh Preserving Kit 21-qt
 
Not only recipes but instructions and how-to guides for all levels of canners.
Blue Book Guide to Preserving
 
I'd be lying if I didn't say that I was first attracted to this book because of the title. So witty. I went to the bookstore and perused lots of different instruction books on canning and I felt this one had a great variety of how to prepare your veggies/fruit/etc., how to process your cans, how to prepare your supplies for canning and a plethora of recipes. The Gingered Cranberry Pear Chutney? Delish over cream cheese with crackers.
You Can Can!: A Visual Step-by-Step Guide to Canning, Preserving, and Pickling, with 100 Recipes (Better Homes & Gardens)
 
I use Ball Jars that I pick up at our grocery store but you can also get them at any craft store.
I only buy regular mouth size jars so that I'm only buying one size of replacement lids (they can only be used once!).
And how cute are these 4 oz. quilted jars? Love.
 
Oh, and if you're planning on quadrupling the apple butter and peeling, coring and slicing 10 lbs. of apples, I HIGHLY recommend one of these.

 
There are so many online resources available, as well. Which come in handy when you're in the middle of canning something and you have no idea what's going on....trust me, that's normal.
 
Also, if you live in Colorado or high altitude (ie: not Oklahoma), this website is key for modifying your processing time because of the altitude.
 
All of the titles of the items are links to purchasing them, too, if you're interested!
 
You CAN can!
Laura
 


No comments:

Post a Comment