a southern girl's dialogue on life in the rockies

a southern girl's dialogue on life in the rockies.

cooking.baking.teaching.and general merriment.

10.24.2012

The Birthday Project

(I know you will enjoy this guest post from my best friend and a spin she took on her birthday this year. It's so inspiring to make a day that is about you and turn it into a day about others, the whole time doing your best to glorify God and make life about others instead of yourself. Enjoy!)


I first ran across "The Birthday Project" on none other than Pinterest (where most amazing ideas can be found). The idea is that you spend your birthday serving others through randoms acts of kindness. I pinned the Birthday Project on my "Give it away now" board, but it seemed to stick on my heart more than the DIY ruffle Christmas skirt that I also happened to pin that day. As a Christian, I understand that I am called to serve others, but quite frankly I'm not very good at it. It really takes thought and motivation to serve. My friends know that I don't often think ahead, and details aren't my thing (opposite of my dear friend Laura, but they say opposites attract). But God didn't tell us to go and do what comes easily and naturally and not really worry about the rest. So with all this laying heavy on my heart - I decided to spend my 27th birthday giving God the glory by doing 27 random acts of kindness.

At first I didn't really want to tell people what I was doing because I didn't want people to think I was doing it for me - I wanted it to be explicitly clear that this was for God. If I wanted to do something to make myself seem cool...I would go to the hair salon and get an new ombre 'do. After some serious prayer "to make my words and actions about Him and for Him," I was ready to begin.

I have recently moved to Fresno, California where my husband and I knew NO one. Not a soul. But through our Lifegroup at church I met my dear friend, Jen. She is the kind of friend that when we went on our first girl date for lunch, we left almost 4 hours later. It was love - instantly. I asked her to accompany on my birthday mission, and she gladly joined my team. She was the master behind documenting our activities - perhaps because she's an AWESOME photographer (as in literally - that's her career)?! Anyways, here is what we spent the day doing.

1. Mailed my grandparents a letter and included some photos of life recently (since they don't stalk me via FaceBook)

2. Gave away the 50% off your entire purchase coupon to a shopper at The Loft

3. Returned the neighbor's garbage cans for them

4. Held open doors at Barnes and Noble (oddly there aren't many stores that don't have those magical automatic doors)

5. Sent a card to a new mommy with a movie giftcard so they can go on a date when they find the time :)

6. Handed out bubbles to kids

7. Made a meal for a stressed friend

8. Left some coins at a laundromat

9. Took some cookies and a sweet note to the Police station

10. Fed some parking meters

11. Left a note and a candy bar for my mail woman (to which I received a thank you note)


12. Wrote 2 encouraging notes and left them on random cars

13. I bought a pair of TOMS (this is a win-win really. I get shoes and so does someone else :)

14. Took coloring books and crayons to the Children Hospital

15. Bought a book and gave it to a special child

16. Handed out water bottles to people riding their bikes or dancing on the sidewalk. California loves to pay people to dance with signs at street corners. Which I'm okay with because they are actually pretty incredible.

17. Washed peoples car windows at a gas station.

18. Donated to the Salvation Army.

19. Handed out balloons to kids shopping with their parents.


20. Used my Starbuck's free birthday drink on the girl behind us.

21. Returned grocery carts for people, and returned stray ones when we couldn't find people to help out.

22. Bought Jen the couch cover she loves.

23. Bought a gift card at the grocery store and then gave it to man in line with his kids.

24. Printed off coupons for Target goods, and then found the goods in the store and taped the coupons to them.

25. My favorite of the day. Bought a gift card at Red Robin and then handed it to a family of 6.

26. Left change on a vending machine.

27. I was super nice all day driving in my car....I let people go ahead, cross in front of me, switch lanes....perhaps this is a small one - but let's face it driving nice all day isn't always that easy :)

 
Reflecting on my day, I would say that is in the top three best birthdays ever, right up there with the hot/cold scavenger hunt my parents sent me on to find my presents (the microwave was the best hiding spot). I think the experience helped me realize it's not about big or small in God's kingdom. He called and I listened. Perhaps all these "little" works helped me get my feet wet, and will lead me to the plans He has for me - the work He has set out for me. My prayer is that I would open my heart, eyes, and ears to follow Him wherever He might want to send me. I would encourage anyone that's interested to do this or a version of this. I promise it won't leave you with a bad taste in your mouth. 

This is the original link that inspired me (click here) if you want to read about Robyn's experience.
 
Kelsey
 
P.S. Search your instagram app for #kmbirthdaymission for pictures from the day!

3 comments:

  1. LOVE this so much. God really is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey--Don't ever short change the love, compassion and kindness that you show to those around you. You have always been a true blessing in my life from the time you came to Sparks up to this moment. I know you will continue to bless my life as well as the lives of others through more special moments. Thank you for sharing this birthday project. It is a motivation to me to be more Christ like on a daily basis and find opportunities to perform random acts of kindness to others.

    Love and miss you - Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this SO much! I never cease to be amazed how God continues to use a single day to prick the hearts of thousands across the globe even almost 3 years later. Thank you for being obedient to the call of BLESSING others in ways you may never know, far beyond the tangible gift you offered. I can tell you that the stories I hear from people on the receiving end of unexpected, INTENTIONAL acts of kindness bring me to tears almost daily.
    I love that you said it was one of your top 3 birthdays...I always tell people that I offer a money back guarantee if it's not their best birthday ever! ;)
    Thanks for sharing your story and happy (belated) birthday!
    Warmly,
    Robyn
    The Birthday Project

    ReplyDelete