a southern girl's dialogue on life in the rockies

a southern girl's dialogue on life in the rockies.

cooking.baking.teaching.and general merriment.

10.08.2012

Slow Cooked Apple Butter

When we first moved to Colorado, it took an extremely long time for my teaching license to transfer over from Texas. So, in that time, I picked up a lot of new hobbies, one being canning!

I first tried canning a small batch of jam and, although it was extremely frustrating because I had no idea what I was doing, it became something that I really look forward to doing!

Now every Autumn, I load up on fresh, scrumptious apples and make apple butter! It is a perfect introduction recipe to canning and I love that come December, the apple butter flavors are still perfectly canned and I have a load of stocking stuffers and small gifts to pass out to neighbors, family and friends!

But don't let the canning aspect deter you from this recipe- you absolutely don't have to can this! Just make it and keep it in the fridge for a delicious spread for your bread, a stir-in for your yogurt (delicious!!) or make it extra decadent and make a batch of my Apple Butter Rolls!

And- wouldn't you know- this recipe is from Skinnytaste! So it's guilt-free, too!



I quadrupled this recipe (10 lbs. of apples!) and picked up organic Gala apples from our local farmer's market grocery store at 99 cents a pound! What a deal.




Oh, did I mention that this is made in the SLOW COOKER? And makes your house smell amazing? Now you have to make it.

Slow Cooked Apple Butter
Recipe from Skinnytaste
Yield: 2 cups
 
Ingredients:
2.5 lbs (6 large) apples, peeled, cored, finely chopped (I used gala but honeycrisp or a mix of the two works well, too)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp nutmeg

Directions:
Place the apples in a slow cooker. Top with sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg and mix well.

Cover and cook on low 10 hours, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened and dark brown.

Uncover and puree with an immersion blender. Cook on high uncovered 1-2 hours.

Spoon into sterile jars for canning, or containers and refrigerate.


Enjoy!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment